Sewing projects from Happy Homemade Sew Chic require some patience and common sense. They also require a good sense of humor. The directions in the book are often wrong and always minimal. Time to tap in to the Hippie Doomsday Cult’s reserve of resourcefulness to get it done.
All this … um… leads naturally to a few “oops” moments, the type that would have earned me a C- in junior high school home economics classes. In no particular order, here are some of those moments. Ever done this yourself?
- Sew wrong sides together
- Sew one right side and one wrong side together
- Make a binding a facing
- Make a facing a binding
- Forget to add seam allowances to traced patterns
- Mix up metric and English measurements
- Cutting errors of various kinds
- Sewing one pocket to the back of pants and the second one to the front
I could go on and on. Just because the book’s patterns are simple doesn’t mean they’re easy. In some ways, I like a complex pattern more, something that really requires me to pay attention.