I have persisted with making garments from Happy Homemade Sew Chic with only my C- in Home Ec education. But yesterday I got an F.
I am trying to sew Jacket with Back Tie, a cute unlined jacket, out of some red silk dupioni that I’ve had in my stash forever. I cut out the pattern pieces perfectly and I started to assemble the jacket. I decided to go with French seams since it’s unlined and I need some extra strength at the seams to cope with the fragile silk. They all went together nicely. I gained more and more confidence.
And then I tried to do French seams where the sleeves meet the armholes. “Can’t be done,” some sources say. “Tricky at best,” others say, “better to finish those seams with a bit of bias binding.”
I can do this, I reasoned. I’ll practice on some scraps first. So I did. I made a sweet little French seam on a mini bodice-and-sleeve combo. It went together pretty easily! So I moved on to the real deal.
Here’s the result:
Oh yes. I sewed the sleeve on inside-out!
I am such an idiot. I unpicked it and had to cut a new sleeve because the sleeve was all chewed to hell. I am lucky I had enough fabric to do the job. The bodice doesn’t look good either. I think I will have to just do a regular seam and bind it.