Now that the Japanese Hippie Doomsday Cult is dissolved and the end of the world is NOT coming (not anytime soon, anyway) we’re glamming up the garments from Happy Homemade Sew Chic.
Next up is a lace duster. Again, Tunic Dress with Lace from the book is the inspiration. I had considered buying a proper duster pattern, or even adapting a cardigan for the job, but my recent adaptation of good ol’ Tunic Dress with Lace inspired me to play with its blank canvas some more. Besides, “lace” is in the title, so it makes sense. Kinda.
The V-neck is a good shape for the front of the duster. Instead of cutting on the fold for the front, I cut two fronts in a single layer with the decorative scalloped edge along what would have been the fold line. I cut the back out of one center panel – again cutting not on the fold but in a single layer. Finally, I did the sleeves with the scalloped edge along the sleeve hems. I have to figure out how to use the scraps of the edge for the hem of the duster itself and the V neckline. That’s for another day.
I entered my tablecloth dress into the PatternReview.com “Upcycle Contest” and I won!
OK, I didn’t win the contest really. A woman who made a very cool denim jacket out of some old jeans won. But I won the “random prize” which is a gift certificate to Patterns from the Past, an online seller of vintage sewing patterns. It’s better to be lucky than to be good, right?
This means I can display this logo on my blog. Magic!
I take this victory as a sign that the Japanese Hippie Doomsday Cult has pleased the gods with its devotion, thrift and style. Sew on!
So, the world still has not come to an end. The plain clothes I made from “Happy Homemade Sew Chic” are growing stale, as the book’s Japanese Hippie Doomsday Cult look loses favor to prettier styles.
Bring on the frippery!
One nice thing about “Happy Homemade” is that the patterns are so simple, they’re blank canvases for creativity. Take this dress I made this weekend, based on “Tunic Dress with Lace”:
A far cry from this original, eh?
The dress is certainly in the thrifty spirit of Happy Homemade. I made it from an old cotton Indian-made border-print tablecloth. I love the print, but it no longer goes with my dining room decor.
I cut off the border to made the V neckline, belt, and ruffles at the hem and sleeves. I was able to cut the body of the dress out of the body of the tablecloth, strategically avoiding old stains (wine! coffee! back in our carefree days!).
I made several modifications for fit – I added shaping to the sides, added fish-eye darts in the back, and added shoulder darts in the back to control neckline gaping.
I am planning to play with a few of these Happy Homemade patterns to see how I can jazz them up. Now that the world’s going on, we need to look our best!
I sewed up another item from Happy Homemade Sew Chic yesterday – item N – the Jersey Bolero-Style Jacket. It’s neither a bolero nor a jacket. Discuss.
This fabric is a viscose knit border print that looked like a good idea for a dress when I bought it at Elliott Berman fabrics. But when I draped it I realized it was too busy for a dress and the border print would tend to widen things that are wide enough already. So I made this cardi instead.
I made changes from the first version, mostly to make use of the border print:
* Lengthened the sleeves and the overall body 2 inches to take advantage of the deep black end of the border print.
* I also used the black end to make the neckline binding.
* Sewed the front tucks as directed – that is, sewn from the wrong side – instead of from the right side like a pintuck. This method worked better for the heavier, opaque quality of the fabric. A pintuck looks better on a sheer.
* Tucked but did not sew down the back tuck because I didn’t like how the sewn-down tuck worked with this crazy print.
* Sewed on a neckline clasp I got from the jewelry-making racks at Joann.
I made the whole thing on my new serger, except for the tucks. The hems were done using the coverstitch mode.
I really like this piece. It’s one of the best patterns in the book. I sewed it up easily in an evening.
I think my misbegotten pants must have heard I was trashing them on Thursday blog, because they got their revenge.
While I was zipping up the pants after a bathroom break, the zipper made a break for it:
Did I mention I was at work? I held up the pants, saying a thank you for the long blouse I was wearing, walked to my desk and fished out a safety pin.
The pin did its job and I got home without any further wardrobe malfunction. I ripped open the zip and threw the pants in the trash. Clearly, we were not meant to be together!
Wow, May went by fast!
I met my goal to wear me-made clothes at least three times per week. In fact, I did 4 or 5 times some weeks. I could have done more if I had repeated outfits.
Today’s look is a recent me-made project that was a huge disappointment. They’re Sewaholic Thurlow trousers in a nice pique suiting.
Unfortunately, the fly front is weirdly crooked and ill fitting, so I can only wear these trousers with a long jacket or tunic to cover up the ugly.
I never intended to wear these in public. But in the spirit of Me-Made May, I decided to wrap up my month with these unfortunate trousers.
I bring this up in a desire to be honest about my sewing. Some projects are just dogs. No sense pretending otherwise.
A lot of sewing bloggers only put forth the pretty, photographed to perfection. That’s cool. I love their makes and drool over their looks.
But to be honest, to inspire the newcomer and give courage to the timid, I believe in putting it all out there.
I hope you had a great May. See you in June!
Here’s today’s Me-Made look: the Mississippi Avenue blouse from Sew House Seven:
It’s very cool for hot days. The fit is not great – my fault, not the pattern’s – but it’s cute and was a quick made out of cotton lawn.